Basic Vests and/ or pouches

the.dumest.wolf

I'm an old player of the Dayz sever but never have been on the forms that much. After reading Sternbean's idea in Peaches and Sternbean's little idea corner about the Jug-suit, I thought I could talk about the possibilities of adding ballistic vests and/ or pouches. examples of this could be civilian vests, school bags, fanny packs, military ballistic vests, etc.

Vests could Provide a reduction of taken dmg (10%-20% depending on the vest) but have weight the user has to account for, also certain vests could only protect certain areas. For example something like a civilian vest could only protect the front while a police or military vest could protect the front and back of the torso.

Vests could start at uncommon to rare and can be sold to the shop, for a bit of cash.

Pouches could increase the carry weight of a player depending on the pouch, and the player can only have one pouch equipped.

I like the idea of special backpacks/pouches. I think if the bag dropped could be replaceable with other backpacks that would be pretty cool, although they'd have to be the same size, so if this were to ever be accepted it would probably just be reskins of the current backpack. As for the armor, I think dayz is built around a hard punishable style of pvp, you have to think, if we were to add vests which would give the player a clear advantage over another I don't think that would settle to well with anyone. Currently there are no pvp advantages that players can't earn, and the ones that you can earn for the most part don't play a big role in pvp. Personally I would not like to see armor added into dayz but reskins for the backpacks is a really good idea.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, the.dumest.wolf said:

I didn't think about that angle about the vests, but i really do like the idea of the reskins. Maybe vests could be purely cosmetic? 

Yeah that would be cool, you could also add more cosmetics along with that, they'd would probably need some resemblance of military gear just so it doesn't look out of place or put you at a disadvantage. Only thing is they'd have to be optimized or limited to a certain amount per-player so frames aren't destroyed by cosmetics.

Maybe cosmetics could be treated like attachments where you can buy a once per life cosmetic for cheap but pay extra for a permanent one. Or you might be able to find basic cosmetics lying about the map. If this was added to the server this could help players recognise each other  so you know who is who.

Tbh i think its balanced if vests were added for a small damage reduction in exchange for a speed debuff

speed plays a chronic role as seen in juggernaut events or in regular pvp, someone whose slow is a really easy to kill target either tapping or spraying so 

I'm still a firm believer that if something gets added that gives a player an advantage, it will ultimately only help veteran players in the long run. It's already incredibly difficult for someone to pick up csi dayz against the wall of experienced names as it is with everyone having the same stats.

It might not seem like a bad idea, but what I can see happening is someone new finding a vest/armor and still getting destroyed by a csi member with hours and hours in the server who then takes it and uses it themselves. Phoon also brings up a good point when he mentioned that there are no current pvp advantages because the server relies on high-consequence gameplay as its bread and butter.

The same can be said about the backpacks/pouches. Most vets already have 200 carry weight while players without the strongback perk have 160 (which used to be only 100), and for the most part the good players are limited by it which prevents them from carrying absurd arsenals. Proper inventory management can usually clean up enough room for an extra gun or so you would like to sell/bank/trade while sustaining enough ammo to get you out.

On 12/19/2019 at 10:04 AM, Medinator said:

Tbh i think its balanced if vests were added for a small damage reduction in exchange for a speed debuff

speed plays a chronic role as seen in juggernaut events or in regular pvp, someone whose slow is a really easy to kill target either tapping or spraying so 

speed does play a big role, but in the case of juggernauts the speed decrease is because they have upwards of 5000hp or more and they arent allowed to heal at all so people can actually kill them. It's already difficult to kill some people that like to hide in groups and poke people down while healing every time they take a shot, and being a tad slower wont prevent them from jiggling back behind a wall or window while someone else takes the aggro for a second. It isn't practical for new players because it'll just punish their untuned habits more (running without cover, overpeeking, poor positioning overall). 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a bit of a down-trodden view of the idea, but for the most part the only way you could implement something of this sort is if these items were new player exclusives. CSi has tried to help level the playing fields by leaps and bounds over the years by nerfing perks indirectly and increasing the starting kit of freshspawns to be closer to what perkholders got for grinding or donating, but I'm not sure how much further things could be taken before it affects gameplay too significantly.

On 12/17/2019 at 11:08 AM, the.dumest.wolf said:

I didn't think about that angle about the vests, but i really do like the idea of the reskins. Maybe vests could be purely cosmetic? 

On 12/17/2019 at 7:50 PM, the.dumest.wolf said:

Maybe cosmetics could be treated like attachments where you can buy a once per life cosmetic for cheap but pay extra for a permanent one. Or you might be able to find basic cosmetics lying about the map. If this was added to the server this could help players recognise each other  so you know who is who.

This isn't a bad idea, it can be difficult to recognise individuals unless youve played with/against them long enough to recognise them off their movements/habits in-game.

• Agree 1