Raiding Rules Discussion

Dan

Should you be allowed to kill UNARMED players on the PROPERTY that you're raiding?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should you be allowed to kill UNARMED players on the PROPERTY that you're raiding?

• Yes - They should be killed for they could potentially call 911 / Pull out a weapon.
    • No - Killing unarmed players promotes toxic behavior.
    • Other - State "Other" and your reason below.

With the current state of DarkRP being very experimental we're trying various things that other servers don't typically do. I'm currently trying to find the best set of rules that'll make the gameplay enjoyable without having to have a copy of the rulebook in everyone's back pocket. An issue currently rose up recently about raiding. To be clear this is not related to Police raids.

The problem was there's no rule against killing unarmed players while raiding.

The reason for this is due to the following:

• The unarmed player could potentially call 911.
  • The unarmed player could potentially arm themselves and attack, thus safe to kill them first.
  • Witnesses can pose a huge threat to getting away with committing armed robbery.

These are my personal thoughts and why I believe raiders should be allowed to kill unarmed players on the property without warning. In real life there are robbers who will kill you just for seeing them. It's the sad reality we live in.

Although these are my thoughts I'm more than willing to go with what the general vote is. Your opinion is valued here and I want to make that clear.

Would be cool if you added zip ties to tie down the unarmed players. So they cant pull out a weapon or call 911 as there hands are tied. The choice should be up to the raider which ever decision is safer for them as they are risking their weapon.

• Agree 1

I personally stand by not killing players who present a threat. I'd like to possibly suggest Zip Ties. Players can craft/buy these (relatively cheap) and they work like Handcuffs, another player can press E onto them to untie them. Possibly Zip Ties could also prevent them from typing /911.

• Love 1
  • Agree 2

Yea it’s a tricky one to decide from how things are now. But if zip ties were added it would stop them from pulling a weapon or calling /911. The problem with the killing if they saw your face. Is you could say that with any crime. What if I was robbing the bank, lockpicking a car, or any other crime that has to be done in public. Would that allow me to kill every civ near by? Like robbing the bank, after I killed all cops and I’m running out with the money, lets say there is two guys sitting in the spawn box. Can I kill them since “they saw my face”?

• Love 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, its ya boi troy said:

Yea it’s a tricky one to decide from how things are now. But if zip ties were added it would stop them from pulling a weapon or calling /911. The problem with the killing if they saw your face. Is you could say that with any crime. What if I was robbing the bank, lockpicking a car, or any other crime that has to be done in public. Would that allow me to kill every civ near by? Like robbing the bank, after I killed all cops and I’m running out with the money, lets say there is two guys sitting in the spawn box. Can I kill them since “they saw my face”?

I understand where you're coming from with this, however I think it's solely different because when raiding a home, the home owners are on defense. Bystanders in a public area for example have no responsibility or ties to the crime that is being committed. However the person who is having their home attacked has something to lose which is why I believe they should be considered a threat regardless and yes as of now you should kill cops when robbing the bank for more than likely you're going to be armed and they will shoot you on site just as you should shoot them.

I'm also of the opinion that anyone who is not a law enforcement officer should be free to do what they want in a raid within the scope of the server's rules (kill people inside the house, steal any items, break any props, etc.)

If it's a police raid, officers should minimize the amount of damage and casualties inflicted on the person or group being raided. If someone has a weapon out during a police raid they are fair game to be shot at, but passive bystanders should be left alone to the best ability of the officers and cuffed. Only contraband should be seized and the cops can't recklessly destroy the setup of whoever is being raided with their battering rams.

16 minutes ago, George said:

I personally stand by not killing players who present a threat. I'd like to possibly suggest Zip Ties. Players can craft/buy these (relatively cheap) and they work like Handcuffs, another player can press E onto them to untie them. Possibly Zip Ties could also prevent them from typing /911.

yes smart man

Also to add on. Say if someone didn’t have zipties/ they don’t get added. One they can see the 911 and kill the person after they call 911/ try to call it. And two add a timer to equip and unequip weapons. At the moment there is literally a timer for everything besides the one thing that needs it most which is equiping and unequiping weapons. In addition to the timer. When someone equips a weapon/ unequips a weapon add a /me command that shows up when it’s being done. This helps to know when a person is doing an action which would be similar in real life if someone were to try to take out a weapon. Except for obvious reasons gmod cant show that. So the /me that comes up when you try to equip/unequip would solve that.

8 minutes ago, Dan said:

I understand where you're coming from with this, however I think it's solely different because when raiding a home, the home owners are on defense. Bystanders in a public area for example have no responsibility or ties to the crime that is being committed. However the person who is having their home attacked has something to lose which is why I believe they should be considered a threat regardless and yes as of now you should kill cops when robbing the bank for more than likely you're going to be armed and they will shoot you on site just as you should shoot them.

Yeah, but this would also make mask extremely vital in crime. Which it should be.

Okay i know im still new to dark rp but i dont think that it should be ok if a group breaks into your appartment or real estate and just runs in and kills you. This is probably the worst thing in the game right now. And with NLR we cant even call 911 and report it so basically everyone is running around breaking into houses and kos'ing. I have died countless times to this and it makes me even more discouraged everytime it happens because then they take everything so i have to go back and buy all the shit again just for them to come back 20 minutes later and fuck me in the ass. we need more civilization rules because what are we suppose to do if we cant report them to the police cause we died and nlr

• Agree 1

also you shouldnt be able to mug people near npc's or the bank (unless a bank heist is active). "Gangs will chill by the npcs or bank because obviously people are going to npc's to buy or sell something so theyre almost garunteed to get something out it.

24 minutes ago, Josh said:

also you shouldnt be able to mug people near npc's or the bank (unless a bank heist is active). "Gangs will chill by the npcs or bank because obviously people are going to npc's to buy or sell something so theyre almost garunteed to get something out it.

Dan's made a script to combat that.

Zip ties or not, the player already could be armed, they can call 911 through console which isn't visable above their head, they can transfer information via third party comms, and they can equip weapons. Only way zipties would ever work is disabling chat while ziptied and having very strict rules when it comes to fearrp, and even if you do all that they can still transfer information on discord or ts so you can only do so much

Edited by phoon

According to the poll it is clear that the majority of people want to be able to KOS anyone that is a victim of their raid. That goes along with how I feel, however it's clear many people would like a non lethal way to secure players they are raiding. Although these tools will be available I believe we will leave it up to the players to decide whether or not they'd like to be lethal. I've also introduced door alarms which you can purchase which will go off whenever a player lockpicks or damages a door.